Do you ever throw something together and then get really excited because it turns out amazing? That’ s how I felt last night when I tossed these ingredients into the Vitamix blender and ended up with my new, favorite, creamy, and healthy Avocado Dressing!
Push the “Jump to Recipe,” or “Print Recipe” buttons above if you want to get right to the recipe!
Real Food Ingredients
I haven’t been perfect in my goal to stick to real ingredients, at least 6 days per week… but I am pretty proud of myself that I haven’t been using the bottles of dressing in the fridge. Each time I’ve put together a salad, I’ve made a simple dressing to go with it. It’s often an afterthought though, because I’m not used to it…so the dressings I put together are pretty simple.
Well I happened to have a ton of Avocados in the fridge because I was going to make guacamole for the Super Bowl, but a friend brought an amazing one, so these were stills sitting in there. When I reached into the fridge for the ingredients for a basic Italian dressing, I realized I could do something even better!
Of course dinner was ready (thanks to my new Instant Pot!) I didn’t have a lot of time to hunt down a perfect recipe, so I just grabbed some things I had on hand that I assumed would make a good dressing, and I’m so glad I did!
Avocados, lemons, cilantro, Greek Yogurt, garlic, and broth. Oh, and don’t forget plenty of salt and pepper. I forgot the salt and pepper at first, and that wasn’t going to hit the spot. Once the salt and pepper were in, it was perfect!
Every single one of the ingredients in this dressing has great health benefits for you. Every. Single. One.
You know what isn’t in this avocado dressing? There is no high fructose corn syrup, caramel color, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Potassium Sorbate and Calcium Disodium Edta, Red 40, Xanthan Gum, Monosodium Glutamate, Modified anything….
Are all those ingredients bad? A couple of them are really, really bad, and some of them I honestly couldn’t tell you because I don’t know what they are. I do know that I don’t want to put a bunch of processed stuff into my body anymore, and making it with a handful of healthy ingredients is the best way to avoid that stuff… and it tastes way better!
Lets just start out by saying that Avocados are one of the healthiest things you can eat. If you’ve read my article about why I quit Weight Watchers, you probably know that avocados were involved. More specifically, it was tempting to eat fat free products in order to “afford” the other things, and avocados were expensive. I felt like crap and even went to the ER at one point.
Avocados are good for your heart, hormone balance, digestive health, insulin balance, cognitive function, cancer prevention, your metabolism, hair, skin, and eyes. They can also be helpful in weight loss. They are full of Vitamin A, E, K, B, & C, and have the minerals magnesium, potassium, iron, copper and Fiber. There are many sources for this information, but I got all of this from Dr. Axe, and this barely scratches the surface of his really cool article about Avocados, including charts.
The other ingredients
- Here’s a good article on the health benefits of lemons, including some remedies.
- Broth is healthy for you, and bone broth has been said to have even more benefits. I enjoy following the blogger The Wellness Mama, and here’s an article on the benefits of Bone Broth.
- As if garlic isn’t awesome enough as a heavenly, fragrant food that often hangs out with butter… There is science backed evidence that it is incredibly good for us. Here’s the article on the 14 Science-Backed Health Benefits of Garlic.
- Here’s another Dr. Axe article, this one will get you excited about eating cilantro, including that it can help with sleep.
- There’s actually some arguments over whether or not Greek Yogurt is as healthy as we all think. You can go down that rabbit hole if you want. I’m choosing to believe it has great health benefits for now.
So Fast and Easy
All I really did was throw everything into the blender, after peeling the garlic and avocado of course, and then hit blend. I didn’t have to do any chopping or anything. Cleaning the blender is easy, because you can just blend soapy water in it to clean it out. So this is one of those dressings I can do when I suddenly realize I forgot about dressing.
Creamy Avocado Dressing
- 3 avocados small
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup broth
- 1/2 lemon squeezed. Or a whole lemon if you like
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 cup water
- Salt and Pepper to Flavor
- Peel and pit the avocado, place in blender.
- Peel the garlic and place in the blender.
- Add remaining ingredients into the blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Salt and pepper until you enjoy the flavor, blend once more.