Adding the Cornflakes to this chicken not only makes it extra crunchy, but it makes it extra golden, which my mind into thinking that I’m eating real fried food. In fact, I read that putting Turmeric on Mac and Cheese tricks you into thinking that it’s extra Cheesy (Cooking Light), so there does seem to be a science to the appearance of our foods.
My son told me that this was a great dinner, over and over again, so it’s definitely going into our rotation.
Crunchy Baked Chicken Parmesan
This golden, crunchy, baked Parmesan Chicken is fun to eat. The Cornflakes in the crust makes it extra crunchy, and the Ranch Seasoning gives it a unique flavor.
- Approximately 3 lbs boneless, skinless, chicken breast
- Cooking Spray
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 Packet Ranch Seasoning mix (or about 3 Tbsp)
- 1/2 cup crushed Cornflakes
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce (I used Newman's Own)
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- Approx. 12 sprigs of fresh time
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 400°
- Step 2 Place chicken breasts in a zip-lock bag and pound them until they are 1/2″ thick, and then cut them in half.
- Step 3 Lightly spray baking sheet with cooking spray. (I use a cooking stone).
- Step 4 In one bowl, combine Panko, crushed Cornflakes, Parmesan cheese, Ranch seasoning mix, and half of Thyme leaves, stripped from the stems.
- Step 5 In another bowl, whisk eggs into melted and cooled butter (cooled so that it doesn’t start cooking the egg).
- Step 6 Dip each piece of chicken into the egg mixture first, then allow the excess to drip off before pressing it into the crumb mixture on both sides.
- Step 7 Place on sprayed baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes.
- Step 8 While chicken is baking, add marinara sauce, vinegar, oregano, and the remainder of the Thyme leaves, to a pot and begin to simmer.
- Step 9 Remove chicken from the oven and divide up the sauce on each piece, and then top with the cheese.
- Step 10 Place back in the over for 5 minutes.
- Step 11 Enjoy–perhaps with some spiraled zucchini?