I came up with this soup when I was doing Weight Watcher’s, and I liked it because it only cost me 1 Smart Point. Garnishing it with a mixture of Greek Yogurt and salsa really took it to the next level. I was originally using Fat Free Greek Yogurt to keep the Smart Points down, but I now think it’s better to use full fat versions of things whenever possible.
You can cut this recipe down if you don’t want to make a huge pot, but I really enjoy keeping it on hand throughout the week. I also like to freeze recipes like this into batches, so that I can alternate soups rather than eating the same one until it’s gone.
Shredded Chicken Taco Soup
- 5 lbs Boneless, Skinless, Chicken breasts
- 1- 15 oz can Tomato Sauce (I used one with no salt added)
- 2 cups of broth (or use 2 cups of the reserved cooking liquid)
- 8- 15 oz cans of Beans of your choice, rinsed and strained (I mixed black, kidney, and chick peas)
- 1/2 cup (or about 2 envelopes) Ranch Seasoning Mix
- 1/4 cup (or 1 envelope) Taco Seasoning Mix
- For Garnish:
- 1/4 Cup Greek Yogurt
- 3 1/2 Tbsn Salsa
- Chopped green onions
- Step 1 Place chicken breasts in a large pot or Dutch Oven and cover with water.
- Step 2 Boil until center of chicken is no longer pink (Approximately 10-15 minutes).
- Step 3 Remove chicken and allow to cool, just enough that you can easily shred it. (remove and reserve 2 cups of cooking liquid if you aren’t adding broth).
- Step 4 Place the shredded chicken into the pot (that should now have no fluids in it).
- Step 5 Over medium-high heat, toss the chicken with the tomato sauce and ranch mix until coated.
- Step 6 Add the broth, beans, corn, and the Ranch seasoning mix.
- Step 7 Heat to desired temperature.
- Step 8 Garnish each bowl with a mixture of plain yogurt mixed with salsa, and sprinkle with green onions.
- Step 9 It goes great with chips or avocados, I tossed some Juanita’s tortilla chips on the side.